Sunday, November 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Rama and the Monkeys, Part A

I have chosen this for one of my "free readings" because I have really taken a liking to these stories modified for children.

 I really like Chapter 1.  It explained the birth of Rama and the creation of the monkeys.  I especially liked where it was explaining the power of the monkeys.  They could basically do whatever they wanted.  They could tear up trees and break the earth by kicking.  They were even more powerful than the great elephants.  It went on to talk about the greatest of the monkeys, Vali.  It was important that he even was recognized by a name.  There were so many that it was hard to keep up.  It then recognized Sugriva, Agni, Nala, and Nila.  Lastly, the great Hanuman was introduced.  These monkeys were leaders and eventually would help Rama in his great battle. 

While I did enjoy reading this, I question how easy it might be for children to read.  It almost seemed a little too advanced for children, at least children that a re very young.

An interesting picture I found of Hanuman (Wikipedia)

Bibliography:
"Rama and the Monkeys" by Geraldine Hodgson. Link.

No comments:

Post a Comment